Community Life Pastor
for the Short North Congregation
Your ministry description determines the programs, projects, responsibilities and relationships you have ownership over. This document determines the things by which you will be held accountable to on an operational basis. As a foundation to this document you are first accountable to Jesus and his mission, secondly to pursuing your Christian maturity, including regular participation in the Veritas community, exhibiting a growing ability to articulate, live out & teach the mission & vision of Veritas, and a personal commitment to the mission of God in your areas of influence.
CHARACTER: We value consistent sensitivity to God, the practice of spiritual disciplines and healthy family dynamics
- Commitment to a daily devotional time that includes prayer and God’s Word
- Commitment to seasons of fasting and prayer
- Commitment to faithfully shepherding your family first
- Commitment to staff community time
- Commitment to evangelism, discipleship and regular hospitality to strangers
- Commitment to tithing to Veritas as a way of modeling biblical stewardship
CHEMISTRY: We value living in community with others and working in teams
- Commitment to live in community with believers through a community group
- Commitment to be involved in global & local missions
- Commitment to resolving conflict and refraining from gossip or backbiting
- Commitment to creating family margin within ministry
- Commitment to submit to authority of pastoral leadership
COMPETENCY: We value a strong work ethic, professional development, and apprenticing
- Commitment to be prompt and prepared for meetings and project deadlines
- Commitment to pursue work and serving the body even outside your ministry description
Expectation of Time: 40-45 hours per week
Compensation: Full-Time Salary, Benefits,
Schedule: Flexible Schedule
Direct Supervisor: Joe Byler, Lead Pastor: Short North
The overall role of the Community Life Pastor will be to serve, encourage and lead the Short North congregation in living out the call for all believers to be disciples of Christ through the framework of community groups and Veritas Learning.
This role is Short North specific; responsible to lead and oversee the areas of ministry listed below with in the Short North congregation. But as a multi-site church, they will also work in collaboration the other congregation leaders/pastors to develop an overall, unifying framework for these ministries for all congregations.
This is accomplished through a focus on developing and shepherding Community Group leaders and leading the church in the vision and health of Community Groups and biblical discipleship overall. They will also oversee the structure, schedule and content of the classes within Veritas Learning in addition to a few teaching roles.
This is a pastoral role, so the biblical expectations and qualifications of the pastor are to be expected in addition to the normal staff requirements and responsibilities. They would also be a part of the Short North Elder team and the Full Council of Elders at Veritas and help lead and serve the church as a whole.
This role will require the following abilities and should have experience in these areas: Shepherd and care pastorally for people. Preach and teach the Bible with a robust gospel centrality. Lead and bring people together around a common vision. Develop and inspire healthy leaders. Work well at collaborating with a team. Build structures and procedures to facilitate healthy management.
(% = approximate time commitment per week)
Community Groups ~ 60%
- This role would work to develop and articulate the vision, purpose, and structure of discipleship within the framework of community groups, train and develop new and existing community group leaders, help groups multiply in healthy ways, and come alongside coaches (Elder team) to assist them in developing coaching relationship, and help new attendees connect with a community group.
- Collaborating with the other congregation leaders/pastors to keep a unifying framework for community groups, this role would lead and oversee the vision and implementation of community groups at the Short North congregation.
- Develop an updated “Community Group Leader Handbook” that outlines the role of community group leaders and the way community groups fit within the overall vision of the church.
- Develop a robust assessment and training process for new leaders.
- Develop a “multiplication vision” to equip community group leaders to raise up leaders and lead their group through healthy multiplication.
- Lead and develop 2-3 community group leader trainings per year during which staff and pastors can encourage and equip community group leaders.
- Connect with group leaders as needed for encouragement, development and pastoral support.
- Work specifically with all new leaders/apprentices to assess them and prepare them to lead.
- Work closely with groups in preparation to multiply.
- Develop and oversee the coaching structure for group leaders.
- Work with the Connect Director to develop healthy on-ramps for new attenders to get connected to a group.
- Work with the staff and pastoral team to continue to define and implement healthy discipleship relationships within the church to supplement community groups
Veritas Learning ~ 20%
- The classes offered through Veritas Learning are part of developing and encouraging the people of the church to grow as a disciples of Christ in many areas. These are a significant aspect of developing and equipping disciples and leaders in the home, the church, and the community.
- This role is focused on the Short North and its classes but will work in collaboration with the other Veritas congregations to develop an overall framework for Veritas Learning across all congregations.
- This would include class development and curriculum.
- Oversee the class schedule for the year, working with staff and elder team to determine needs and class topics.
- Responsible to find qualified teachers for the CORE 4 and all Electives.
- Teaching a few of them as time allows.
- Help organize and facilitate the Foundations Class with the Lead Pastor.
- Develop new electives that meet the needs of the church, as determined by staff and elder team.
- Either develop and teach the classes or work with and oversee other leaders/members to develop the classes.
Pastoral ~ 20%
- Spiritual Life
- Maintain a robust life of prayer and scripture and communion with God.
- Investing in spiritual renewal by equipping yourself with reading, coaching, counseling, etc
- Preach ~30% of the year at Short North. (~1 time a month)
- Participate in the weekly pulpit team meetings.
- Help lead the vision and strategy of the church within the membership and within the community.
- Occasional pastoral meetings with newcomers, members, leaders, etc.
- Occasional membership interview meetings
- Occasional pastoral care meetings, crisis intervention, church discipline, etc.
- All of the above coordinated with the Lead Pastor
- Participate in the staff team in all meetings, etc.
- Help encourage and support staff in specific areas as needed.