A Light in the Darkness
- Reflect for a minute on this metaphor of light and darkness that we read of in this passage. Consider the properties of light and darkness – how do you see Jesus being a light in darkness? How does he provide sight, clarity, and protection in the midst of darkness?
- If you think about it, darkness is really only the absence of light. As you consider the darkness in your own heart and in the world around you, how do you see it being simply the absence of something? What is missing?
- In the midst of darkness (trial, suffering, temptation, etc.), how do you respond? Do you generally ignore it? Or have your “eyes” becomes used to it – numbing your senses?
- Specifically speaking of your own life, how have you seen Christ shine a light into your darkness?
- How have you seen Christ shine a light into our community, our city, the world?
- How does the reality of people lost in darkness around us spur you on to action? How can you shine this light you’ve been shown to others?