- Dave opened his sermon with the statement “to be a Christian is to be a realist.” What do you take this to mean? How do you see this as true?
- Is there a part of this section of Job that makes you uncomfortable? What/why?
- What is your natural response to suffering and pain?
- Do you see yourself treating God like he has broken a contract with you when you suffer?
- What can we learn from Job’s response to disaster?
- How do you see our suffering as a way to have our trust in the Lord grown?
- Do you find yourself trying to “let God off the hook” for Job’s suffering? How/why? Do you do this with your own suffering and pain?
- How do you feel about being left not understanding why we suffer? Do you feel owed an explanation or resolution?
- How can we have hope in suffering even without understanding the reason for suffering?