Ways to Serve Columbus this Summer
Summer service is all about building relationships. The community wants to know “Who is Veritas?” Let’s show them. And we continually wonder “who are our neighbors”—let’s find out. Intentional relationships that lead to Christ. There are countless things happening within community groups, so contact your community group leader to find out how you can serve your community. Here are some ideas:
Movie Nights in the Park
Movie Nights in the Park are on June 19th & 26th, July 10th, 17th, & 24th, 7:30-10:30pm. Contact Amy Byler if you can help organize and advertise this event to our neighbors.
Neighborhood Kids Club
Veritas East is hosting Neighborhood Kids Club activities June 9th – June 12th in 5 different locations: Maybury School Park, Liberty Elementary, Dunloe Elementary, Asbury Elementary, and Independence Village Park. If you want to be a part of this, contact Josh Remy.
Neighborhood Block Parties
East and West are hosting block parties. Contact Rachel Trego to help at the June 10th West Block Party and Josh Remy to help at the June 13th East Block Party.
On June 13th, Tri-Village is washing cars behind the Monroe Muffler and Brakes at the Tremont Shopping center next to Northam park. For details, contact Rob Linville.
Contact Rachel Trego to find out how you can help with the community gardens on the west side. Contact Amy Byler if you want to put your green thumb to work at our NNEMAP Food Pantry plot & or the Freedom a La Cart plot at the Godman Guild Gardens. Veritas is working on the Back Lot behind the church, making it a community space.
Upper Arlington Chamber of Commerce 5K
Coming up on June 20th the Upper Arlington Chamber of Commerce is having a 5k run/walk and they have asked Veritas if we could partner with them. This is an amazing opportunity to be in our community and serve and encourage. UACC is looking for volunteers to help with things like the registration table for runners the morning of or manning a water station along the route. We have a great relationship with UACC and would love to see if we could get 5 or more people to join Rob Linville in serving at the race. Contact Rob linville if you can join.
Music Camp is July 13-17th, 6:30-8:30pm at the Short North building. Beginners and professional musicians are coming together for a week of learning, fun, tons of music making, and time to take a deeper look as to how to get more of life and of God. Details are coming soon. Volunteers, regardless of musical abilities, are needed. Contact Rachel Herman to help.
City Bible School
CBS – City Bible School is a week long experience for kids ages 4-12 years old. Happening July 27th – 30th for Short North and Tri-Village, contact Lizzie Kiser if you can help. East is planning the details of their CBS. Contact Josh Lister if you’d like to help at East.
Veritas has a strong partnership with Stowe Mission. Austin Hill, the Associate Director, is a Deacon of Mercy at the Short North Congregation. Also Nick Nye, Lead Pastor at Veritas, serves on the board for Stowe Mission. Here are some ways you can serve at Stowe. Contact Austin Hill if you can help:
- Stowe Mission has monthly block parties. 4th Tuesday of every month 5:30-7:30, arrive anytime to help out and hang out.
- Stowe Mission is spearheading the litter control on Parsons Ave in partnership with Keep Columbus Beautiful. We will have monthly Saturday projects picking up litter, covering graffiti, and maintains the 127 planters along the avenue. Will post info to The City when dates are scheduled.
- Serving lunch M-F, 11a-12:30p. We always can use more help serving, cleaning, and building relationships with the community. We need CONSISTENCY with this need. For example; every Tuesday or every other Friday. Someone we can schedule and depend on for the summer months.
- Landscaping Stowe Mission Parking Lot. Mulching, trimming bushes/trees, pulling weeds, picking up trash. Date tbd.
- Stowe Mission is looking for people to give fifteen minute tours at Stowe. If you don’t know anything about Stowe, no problem. You can attend a training on Thursday, June 4th from 7:00pm – 8:00pm to learn everything you’ll need to know in order to give a tour. You’ll give the tours anytime between 8:00am – 8:00pm on any day between June 14th – 17th. You pick a time that suits your schedule. There will be free coffee and snacks. The people receiving the tours are those who are coming in from out of town for ForColumbus.
There is always more to do, if a Community Group or individual wants to do something different, please contact Austin Hill anytime.
Comments are closed.